Soriano Law LLC is a responsive and knowledgeable law firm that has helped multiple DUI clients over the years. Here’s a rundown of the FIVE most frequently asked questions about DUI for you.


What is an alcohol evaluation in Washington DUI law?

If you are convicted of a DUI offense that is alcohol-related, you are to undergo an alcohol evaluation by an accredited agency. The agency will give you written questionnaires and then interview you, upon submission of the police report, urinalysis, and existing driving record.

Aside from recommending the agency or facility to undergo evaluation, your DUI attorney will also assist you on the documents that are required and make sure that you receive credit for completing the evaluation. The court will note that you completed this step.


What are the chances of a dismissal?

Here’s the honest fact – a dismissal is highly unlikely to happen. A DUI offense is not dismissed outright. However, your case can be dismissed either by decision of the prosecutor via a court proceeding after a careful consultation or considerations of the fact of the case or by an acquittal after a jury or non-jury trial.


Will I go to jail?

If it’s your first time, it’s important to know the basic facts. We’ve also written about them here

A first-time conviction of a DUI offense can put you to jail for 1-2 days. The good news is an experienced lawyer like Soriano Law LLC can help you be able to negotiate a jail alternative or reduce a charge that does not require jail time. Your attorney will keep track of all your documents and must be able to discuss with you what to do on a jury trial. There are also a host of other ‘variables’ to determine the outcome – like an ‘attitude test’ (behavior with the police), breath or blood tests, etc. There is absolutely no guarantee that you won’t face jail time – but I recommend you reach out to us or an experienced lawyer to help you resolve your case.


If the Washington DOL suspends or revokes my license, can I still drive?

Yes, with The Ignition Interlock License (IIL). You are to secure all requirements asked by the Department of Licensing (DOL) to have the IIL. The Washington DOL will ask you to file it and must complete it with a $100 fee, get SR22 insurance, and request for a state-accredited agency to install the device. We recommend you speak with us, or any knowledgeable DUI attorney to discuss this action.


Will I need to get SR22 insurance?

When your license is suspended, as mentioned, you will need to get SR22 insurance and file it with Washington DOL to get the IIL. SR22 is financial responsibility insurance that means you’re meeting your state’s car insurance coverage requirements for driving over a specified amount of time.


You can trust Soriano Law LLC’s knowledge and expertise when it comes to DUI cases. We have helped many clients in the past navigate complex situations. We are known to be a responsive and knowledgeable law firm in Grays Harbor that can help you get desired results. Call us at (360) 249-6174 for a free consultation now!