You have set out your parenting plan, but sometime along the way you decided to relocate. What are the right steps to take? Here is what you need to know. 

Before we break it down, Soriano Law LLC is a trusted law firm who can help you with all your family law concerns. Reach us for a free consultation at (360) 249-6174 now or email us at We have a Facebook page @sorianolawllc you can send a message as well anytime. This will allow you to properly evaluate your case and then create a strategy that is most suitable for you and gives you the best chance in court. Our attorneys are experienced in handling this for you.

Learn About Child relocation law in Washington State

The State requires you to consider important things before initiating your move. Relocating children under WA law is governed by RCW 26.09.405 to RCW 26.09.550. The parent with whom the child resides most of the time is allowed to relocate and the court cannot prevent you from doing so. If you are a custodial parent, what you need to do is ensure that a proper timely notice is provided to the non-custodial parent. A writing about this should be provided at least 60 days before the said relocation. This includes your new contact information, address, and the child’s school information. 

What if I forgot to notify the other parent? 

If you do not notify the other parent properly, you will face court sanctions which could derail your relocation plans. These include but are not limited to contempt of court, paying attorney fees, etc. 

What if it is not too long distance? 

A custodial parent and relocating to a new address that is within the child/ren’s existing school district? No problem. But you must be able to notify the other parent still, along with contact information. 

I’m A Non-Custodial Parent And I Would Like to File A Contest About Relocation

You can definitely file a motion to contest this relocation of the custodial parent within 30 days upon receipt of the written notice. It will be a formal objection re this move of the custodial parent, detailing why you are against this move. You may have some relevant concerns about this relocation that you need to raise and must be included in your written objection. The judge will be able to decide on a court hearing to resolve whatever conflicts. The judge will weigh this based on a list of questions, ultimately putting into account what’s best for the child/ren in light of the effects of this relocation.

If relocation is now allowed by the judge, both parents will revise the existing parenting plan to reflect the new changes brought about by the relocation. It is particularly important to do all the paperwork properly – where time is of the highest essence.  

Read other articles we wrote for you about family law here. Reach out to our team of experienced and compassionate lawyers at (360) 249-6174 now!