The Washington State Court issued a new protection order statute, under RCW 7.105 and is effective July 1, 2022. Learn more about this by clicking here.

As all types of protection orders are now under one statute, one particular protection order also has notable changes you must know. 

DVPO or Domestic Violence Protection Order under the Washington State law RCW 7.105.010(8) states that domestic violence happens when you are related to, living with now or have lived with, or have ever been in an intimate relationship with any of the following:

  1. Intimate partner (current or former dating, current of former spouse, current of former cohabitant as intimate partner, parent of a child in common)

  2. Family member (parent/child, stepparent/stepchild, sibling, blood relation other than the parent of the child

  3. Household member (current or former roommate, parent’s intimate partner, and child

And does any of these:

  • Harms you physically, including sexual assault

  • Causes you to fear immediate physical harm or assault

  • Stalking, including online (cyberstalking)

  • Engages in behavior that causes you physical, emotional, or psychological harm, and unreasonably interferes with your free will and personal liberty (coercive control)


Changes In The New Statute:

  • Above in bold text: (under Household member) expanded to parent’s intimate partner and child

  • Coercive control (means a pattern of behavior that is used to cause another to suffer physical, emotional, or psychological harm, and in purpose or effect unreasonably interferes with a person’s free will and personal liberty. 


Getting a protection order has no fee. Filing of it is absolutely free. You may file it yourself or ask a competent lawyer to do it for you. Consult with us for free by emailing

You are also encouraged to file via electronic service – including service by email, text message, and social media applications. You are required personally if you will:

  1. Transfer of custody of children from respondent to petitioner

  2. Surrender of firearms

  3. Vacating respondent from the shared residence

  4. If the respondent is incarcerated


If you have questions about this and may need help navigating through the new statute, or requirement documents when requesting a Civil Protection Order (CPO), Soriano Law LLC is able to help you. Please reach out to us via phone (360-249-6174), social media (Facebook @SorianoLawLLC), or the email posted above.