Here’s the thing.

You have a situation where your ex wants to get some of his/her stuff from the house. The thing is, he/she has a restraining order. You’re either scared or upset. What will you do?

What Is Civil Standby?

From the situation above, you can ask for a civil standby. It allows a person served with a restraining order/protection order (PO), or no-contact order (NCO), to obtain their property. A person may call their local police department and ask them to go to the property of dispute, and “manage” the situation – prevent a potentially hostile scenario, or turn the event into anything violent, aggressive, and the like.

How Do Civil Standbys Work?

Since Civil Standbys allow a person to take their necessary belongings, although it could be that not all of it, a local sheriff may ask the person to wait in the area or vicinity where it is not violative of the PO or NCO.

Conversely, in Washington, when a state court or commissioner has given a decision that prevents someone from being given access to his or her residence or belongings by entering a PO in a civil setting, or NCO in a criminal setting, a lawyer can help you ask the court to authorize a civil standby for a police escort so that they can pick up their property without violating the judge’s order and committing a crime. It is imperative to call the local non-emergency number. It is also important if you are doing this, you are accompanied by a third-party person – a friend or anybody available to be with you – who could act as a witness to this activity.

Do you have more questions about a civil standby? We are always willing to help. Call Soriano Law LLC now at (360) 249-6174. We are in Montesano (Grays Harbor County) but also serve clients in Thurston County, Pacific County, Lewis County, Mason County, and Pierce County.